Monday, January 12, 2009

Another fine 'class'


The hour drags by,
reluctant to proceed.
The loud murmur of the teacher
falling on my deaf ears.
My copy lies opened,
a word or two scribbled with lot of efforts
They look at me,mock at me
sometimes even scorn me!
This is the last year of the legendary engineering studies
I still struggle to exhaust one single notebook
bought enthusiastically at the start of the second year!
My thoughts have possessed me,
I'm in my own world
A continuous reel of plans,schedules and pending work!
I look at my sides,
drowsy eyes,yawning faces and impatient souls
all packed in this dungeon of classroom.
They do lessen my guilt..
The desks lay dumb
all scrawly and scribbly with names and love proclamations
of the notorious spirits.
The front row looks deserted
a pupil or two,who have vouched to be declared sincere
The enlightened ones occupy the safe last benches
utilising the time resources for fruitful jobs
of crosswords,newspapers,bingo and sudoku.
A few graceful souls have buried themselves
into the screens of their mobile phones.
either sending sweet messages
or rereading old and loved ones.
There is still a group of better people
who have learnt to make up for their lost sleep
because of the previous night out
quietly burying their faces into folded hands.
Still not left too far behind,
a single spirit connects the whole classroom
the spirit of missed calls!
buzzing with a low vibration
sometimes at the back and yet next in the front
to carry on the chain reaction
I look around,fifty five minutes gone.
all buck up now
some students having enthused themselves
to shout "too much for a day sir already..next class sir..blah blah"
the teacher gives a look at his watch
and as the busy souls make their way out
he does not forget his template statement
"any doubts please come to my room"
DOUBTS.!
Another class passes,
and we console ourselves
just a few more to go.

3 comments:

अभिनव said...

Wow... brilliant description of how all of us feel in our final year [in fact all the years in the college ;)]...
And the best thing about d writing is the rhythm which gives it a flow like a poetry :)

Bibhav said...

lovely... i had an image in my head. this totally was the very same... awesome expression... kudos...
enjoy ur lst days in college to the max...
tc...

Surya Pratap Mishra said...

well yeah, true to the core..if not exactly the same, the soul of the piece echoes in every engineer's heart i am sure.. i specifically like the descriptions - the audio visual effects - of which I am a big big fan !! great one to read... was amused and smiling while I read it, for it brought back memories ! :)