Friday, August 4, 2023

Innocence vs Crime

 The inmates of the home looked fresh. Adolescent boys, I would rather put them as. Were they guilty of any crime. I couldn’t judge from their behaviour. As my feet dragged around in half-confused, half-disturbed state of mind, my eyes wandered about the rooms and the walls to draw a picture of their lives and minds. Suddenly a young chap of around sixteen entered the room. Hastily greeting me with folded hands, he uneasily looked away. I stared at him for a while. Childhood had not left his face and attitude yet. 

“What brought you here?” I involuntarily questioned, immediately regretting my words. 

“Rape” someone mumbled from behind. 

“Rape?” I repeated in a concerned tone. Looking at him I felt a chill go down his spine. 

“Friends incited you or what?”- I asked in a somber tone.

“I loved her, she loved me too! We just decided to escape the tantrums of her home” - he answered. 

“They had fled for a night and thereafter the parents of the girl accused him of rape madam. He’s a very well behaved boy” - someone clarified from behind.

I felt a deep pain somewhere, perhaps relating it could be anyone’s darling son. I tried to make good my gesture but I was myself a little  shaken, by his innocence, his sincerity or may be worldly immaturity to understand where he stood now.

Looking at him, in a lighter vein I laughed a little speaking- “First fall in love with yourself and then you could think of a girl. Do you even look old enough to feed yourself that you decided to feed your girl for life? No worries, just spend your time well here, and you will find many loves in your life going ahead in life. Just ensure you use your life well after you leave this place. Rest all ok. This stay is just temporary. Is everything else fine here for you?”

“Yes” - nodded him with the sweetest smile. 

As I walked back, I wondered do parents of boys forget to warn their wards- “Don’t get distracted from books , don’t fall for beauty at this age, don’t trust anyone with assuring words if they are not family.. blah blah just the way, parents and guardians of girls in India trail their every move and every call. For a minute I even thought young boys were perhaps more at danger- legally. Even under-age pregnancy is dealt with with partial compassion and some residual stigma. What about the male child? Rape? As I couldn’t relate the word to those innocent eyes, I walked back with a mind that was puzzled too much to think clearly at heart. 

No comments: