Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Past, Present or Future.

My nephew in the 4th form put me a few questions today.. Some sentences to be rewritten in past tense, simple past, present, and so on. To every answer he was like ''why did you answer this particular way?"  I was grappling with them, unable to recall the thumb rules taught at school for my answer. So I just shut him off with a "now stop tens-ing with the past now"! And then to his constant bugging I disconnected the  call with the famous line "Yesterday is past, tomorrow is  future.. Since today is a gift we call it the present".
As I pondered later over the words today..present..gift etc..I was bemused to be thinking over so intently over a trivia!
Do we all live in the present? Certainly not!
Many of us live in the past.. Still many awakened souls find nirvana in the bright tomorrow. Where is the present? First thing first, how do I measure the present? Is the answer 'today'? The span of time between sunrise to nightfall! So I would rather be going about living in my daily chores.. My share of daily stress or occasional breaks of destressing.
In fact whatever I do is either a correction of the past error, or a manipulation of my future. So in fact I have no present. I m either brooding over the past or
steadily working over tomorrow. So isn't it like I am not living at all my 'gift'!!
As I kept confusing myself further and my mind ran back and fourth between the self created maze of the past-future jargon, the engineer within me resurfaced and replied " Stop being philosophical, there in fact is no definite least count of the present, how do we measure or live it.?...Easier said than done-living in the present"😏 
Yet at bed, my restive mind remains discontent with my bipolar self and its answer!

No comments: